Friday, June 15, 2012

First encounter with peas

After a few days of oatmeal cereal it was time to introduce his first veggie. I had organized the pantry with veggies first and then fruits and decided that I would just start in the order that they were in the pantry, which put peas first. I have to admit that I felt bad that one of the first things he ever tasted would be peas but I have to admit that I am one of those people that tastes everything on my plate and then I start with the item I like the least and eat it first to get it out of the way so I can savor the good stuff at the end. So in the end I thought to myself maybe it would make him appreciate the other good stuff even more if he tasted peas first! Matt wasn't home for the show, just Ollie and I and I wish that I had had the camera going for his very first taste, his reaction was immediate! He had a scowl like you get when you suck on a lemon and I laughed out loud over it. To his credit he did try to continue and we did make it through everything I had in the spoon- a total of 1 oz. I couldn't help but grab the camera because he was making faces I had never seen before. My favorite one being a crease that appeared between his eyes along the ridge of his nose- where did that come from?!



 He did a lot of fake gagging- I know that trick buddy!



In the end he started crying like I have never seen and was truly unconsoleable until I got him out of the high chair and held him, bib and all. I can safely conclude that HE HATES PEAS!!! The sad thing was I had given all fruits and veggies equal representation on the shelf and I had a lot more for him to eat. But feeling like it was just too cruel and comfortable that there are other veggies for him to eat I decided not to make him eat peas again. The next meal we moved onto green beans, which he loved and made me happy. The funny thing is my nanny didn't know I had made this decision and she fed him other 1oz that was left in the peas container in the fridge, luckily for him she also mixed it with greenbeans which must have made it bearable for him because when I came in to check on him while she was feeding him and discovered what had happened he stopped and gave me big smiles and a laugh- what a little booger!

If you want a good laugh, here is the video of his first encounter...

No comments:

Post a Comment