Sunday, July 1, 2012

Ollie's Blessing Day

I've been looking forward to Ollie's blessing for some time so it was an exciting day when it finally arrived. It was fast Sunday and Matt and I took the opportunity to fast for Matt to be inspired in the words that he would say for his blessing. I love fasting with Matt and it was nice to have a new and to us profound purpose for our fast. I wanted Ollie's blessing to be significant not just for Ollie but for all of us that were there to witness it because truly he has already made an impact on so many of us. In the morning we were able to attend church with Barb, Rich and Kate. Services were nice and uplifting and Ollie was happy to entertain everyone around him. I was getting caught up in the moving story the relief society teacher was sharing but had to step out because Ollie was at that point in his day when he needs a nap and he wasn't going down quietly but kept making loud moaning sounds so I spent half of relief society in the hall until he finally fell asleep.

After church it was time to make sure Ollie's blessing outfit was ready. Matt spent the short time we had focusing on preparing himself for the blessing while I pulled out the outfit Mom had sewn for Ollie and got busy ironing it. I put it on him to see how it was going to look, it needs a few alterations, mainly Barb and I debated over whether or not I should button up the vest or leave it undone because it was a bit snug around his waist. In the end I wanted it buttoned and we could get it buttoned I just hoped one of the buttons wasn't going to pop off and poke an eye out! I took Ollie in the living room to get a few pictures of him, but he wasn't in the mood to cooperate so I decided just to wait until later and gave him a break. I didn't want Ollie to get it wrinkled or make a mess of it so I took it back off, determined to keep it nice and clean and pressed for the blessing. While I was running around Barb was nice enough to give Ollie a little surprise she had for him, a lime green super soft... not sure exactly what to call it but it is like a mini blanket toy that has one eye and two horns and a bit of a tail. It was love at first sight for Ollie- he grabbed it and thrashed it around squealing and throwing his arms around in excitement, and he also chomped on it of course!



After all the excitement we packed up (Barb was nice enough to pack us some food) and headed out to see Jess before the blessing. Matt and I got to enjoy our time together and the opportunity to talk over things he was thinking about for the blessing during our long drive. When we arrived we got to enjoy another visit with Jess and her family and Jess had some of her friends over so they could also visit with Ollie. He was being a bit of a stinker, not his happiest self, but any time together is a good time!







After our visit we headed over to Evelyn's to help get ready for the blessing. In the car we broke our fast and busted out the food Barb had sent with us, it came just in time because I hardly had any energy. Amazing how with just a few bites I can feel life coming back into me! We were later getting to Evelyn's than I wanted to be but they already had everything setup and ready to go so there wasn't really anything we needed to help with. Matt's cousin Devon and his family were already there. It's been some time since they have seen each other so Matt was super excited, and it was their first introduction to Ollie. After greetings we took Ollie upstairs to put his blessing outfit on. As soon as I got it on him he spit up all over it! He has great timing. We cleaned him up the best we could and took him downstairs to see everyone. Matt's aunt Bonnie and uncle Jay had just arrived, also their first time to meet Ollie. After that everyone started pouring in and I of course started the pictures...
Aunt Evelyn & Uncle Richard

Matt's Aunt's, Uncles, Cousin Devon and Family

Aunt Bonnie and Uncle Jay
Ollie eating Bonnie's necklace!

 Katee and Drew representing all the family back home

Aunt Barbara, Uncle Richard, Shelby and Katelyn

Kris and Morgan

Jessica and family

Making faces at each other

Jessica and friends

Trisha, Jake and Davis






Ollie happy as ever on his big day!
The first time Eveyln and Richard came to see Ollie after he was born, along with their gifts they brought a gift from a sweet friend of theirs that upon hearing our story knit a beautiful white blanket for Ollie. It's a gift I treasure because once again it reminds me of how many lives this little guy has already touched, and also how much this journey has blessed and taught us. I will forever be grateful for the prayers of others, and the kind gestures and ways we have been both loved and supported. I have seen Heavenly Father's hand all through the journey that brought Ollie into our family, and through the acts of others we have constantly been reminded how very aware Heavenly Father is of each of us individually. Seeing Ollie all lit up, dressed in white in an outfit my mother made, and on a beautiful white blanket from a complete stranger brought a big smile to my face as we got ready for his special moment.

We gathered all the men together for one last picture so we could forever remember those that hold the power of the priesthood and our little son in their hands.

After pictures we gathered in the family room. Uncle Richard welcomed everyone to his home and invited Uncle Jay to give an opening prayer. Then all the men gathered for the blessing. I am once again reminded of how grateful I am for the power of the priesthood in my life. What a special moment it was to see that circle of men, and to hear Matt pronounce a beautiful blessing on our son. And how special it was to be able to share that moment not only with our family but with Jess and her family, and to have Darrel be a part of the circle. One of the things Matt said in the blessing to Ollie was a reminder that one of the meanings of his name is sacrifice and healing, and he blessed Ollie to know of the loving sacrifice of his first mother, and to know that she has a testimony of the plan of happiness and desired that he would be placed in an eternal family with a mother and father that would love him and teach him the gospel of Jesus Christ. He also blessed him that as he lives a worthy life that he will honor that sacrifice and that his first mother will be able to enjoy the fruits of healing. Words will never adequately express how humbled we are for what both Jessica and Evan and their families have sacrificed for their son to be with us, it is overwhelming to even try to start to comprehend it all, but I share that same prayer for Ollie that as we do our best to provide for him the home and environment that Jess wanted him to have, that his good life and the man he becomes will truly honor that sacrifice.

The other things that stood out to me in his blessing were that he was blessed with health and strength and that his shoulders would be able to bear the chores and errands the Lord has prepared for him. And that he will be able to recognize the hand of the Lord in his life and be grateful for his blessings. There were many other beautiful things said, but these in particular stood out to me, I suppose because I wonder what his life has in store for him and how it will all play out. All I know is that I have truly felt how special he is and I do believe his life is significant. His name might not be one that the world knows, but I know he will change the lives of those that are blessed to know him because he has already changed mine. And just like his name he already has such a peaceful and joyful nature about him. Tears rolled off my cheeks through his entire blessing as I soaked in the moment and the significance of it all. Ollie on the other hand cried through nearly the whole thing! It hadn't even crossed my mind that he might cry and when he started and continued through the entire blessing I wondered how it was that I failed to send him in with out a pacifier! I really was amazed though that Matt was able to keep going and speak over him, I think I would have been a little stressed out under that pressure.

When all was said and done there were hugs and tears all around and the best way I can describe how I felt was pure joy. Everyone filed out of the house to enjoy the beautiful weather and dessert outside. In between Evelyn and I found ourselves alone in the house and she took a moment to express to me sweet words of gratitude and joy that Matt and I have each other and that we have Ollie. We embraced and happy tears came once again. I never knew Matt's mother, but I have always imagined that she was like Evelyn and that makes her all the more special to me. Outside we spent the rest of the evening eating an assortment of desserts (red velvet cake, chocolate cake, key lime pie and ice cream, I took a bit of them all) and each other's company. Katee and I did the serving, and from the looks of the picture Matt took of us I must have been trying to either lick chocolate off my hand or snag a bit in between. In either case no one warned me that I was greeting everyone with a big brown chocolaty tooth. We've had good laughs about it ever since.




Matt and Ollie showing off their tricks
Ollie getting ready to crawl

Ollie enjoying the feel of the cool grass, he doesn't get to do that much back home!
 
Jake kept busy chasing around Davis and entertaining him the whole night


Slowly the crowd dwindled down to just a few of Matt's family and then all too soon it was time to say goodbye. As we walked to the front we discovered the most beautiful sunset painted across the sky and stopped to take it in. I said "It's Heavenly Father's blessing on today" because it really felt like a present from Him.

When I snuck inside to get all of our stuff I found one more little present. I hadn't noticed it before but in the living room where we were taking all of the pictures Evelyn had Lorraine's (Matt's mother's) picture sitting out. Seeing it there struck me and I was super touching because in that quiet moment I felt and knew that somehow someway she was a part of Ollie's special day.
Having the blessing in Utah meant most of my family wouldn't be there, but we felt like it was the right place to have his blessing and without a doubt I am glad it worked out that way. Having Katee and Drew there to represent my family back home meant the world to us. Katee's hug after his blessing was one of the moments that also choked me up because we just held each other and without saying a word we cried happy tears knowing what Ollie means to our family and all of those who have prayed so hard for us all these years, she being one of them. We were excited to text the rest of the family on the way home to share a few pictures and thoughts and were excited to hear their love and support. Having his blessing also made me all the more excited for his sealing.

We got back to Barb and Richard's late that night and Barbara already had Ollie's entire blessing typed out and framed waiting for us on our bed. Matt and I had fun reading over it again and reliving the moment and the day. I really am so blessed not just for my son, but for my sweet husband. I know the blessing was something he looked forward to and prepared for, as we read it again together and excitedly talked about different parts and how he felt and what occured from his perspective I felt so much gratitude for him. I also felt a bit of proud for Matt for preparing himself to deliver that special blessing, definitely a day I will always remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment