Thursday, April 26, 2012

First Day in Kauai

(My aplogies that this is a lengthy entry- it's straight from my journal that I kept when I was out there so if you aren't into reading skip the text for the pictures!)

It's 4:45 in Kauai and I've probably already been up an hour. Ollie is laying in bed next to me kicking around like crazy, he isn't tired at all! On the other side of me is a towel covering up the big pee spot he just made. I fed him and then changed his diaper and while I was getting it out the rainbow appeared and the bed was soaked! He hasn't done that to me but two other times that I can remember and I was thinking the other day how lucky I was. Oh well, I'm still lucky! He was such a good kid flying. I was so nervous about it, especially since his nose started running a few days ago and I was worried that he might be getting a cold and I know how bad it hurts to fly when your ears are congested. But everything timed out well, I fed him as we were taking off- well back up. Tuesday night I didn't get home till around 11 because I had to go do some shopping. I was really proud of myself because usually a lot of new clothes, shoes, shorts, dresses, bathing suits, etc. get purchased before a big trip. I don't know if it was more because of a tight budget or because we aren't traveling with McKesson or anyone that cares but I pulled pretty much everything from the closet. (I did buy a ton of bathing suits last year too, a few that I just took the tags off when I packed so maybe that had to do with it too!) The one depressing thing is I haven't had time to get my hair done. I even dreamt about it Monday night- everything I was trying to do to get it fixed. My roots are long and dark which doesn't make me happy, I so wanted cute pictures of our little family while we are out here, because it was inevitable that I wasn't going to get it fixed the idea popped into my head that I could wear hats so that became my item to purchase, I picked up four new hats! The rest of the shopping was for Ollie. He is so fun to shop for although I didn't have much time or selection (there is way more cute stuff for girls!) in the end somehow he has nearly a bathing suit per day, such a little stud. Once I got home all the packing and cleaning began. I got Ollie's bag done first, it's amazing how much you have to think about for him, and even more amazing that I fit it all in one bag! By 3:30am I was done packing and cleaning- I know it's silly to be scrubbing your bathroom at 3:00 in the morning but the thought of coming home to it dirty is more than I can bare, I had to limit what I could do because the shower, the bathtub and the floor really needed to be cleaned but I didn't have that much energy left! I crawled into bed with my mind racing over all the things at needed to be packed and thought of a few more things that I needed to do when I woke up, after final,y getting to sleep I heard Ollie cry. So at 4:40am I got up and fed him. We got out of bed at 5:30 and rushed to get ourselves and Ollie ready. Matt had Zach pick us up and drive us to the airport, I'm so glad he did because even though we planned on leaving at 6am by the time we got there it was almost 7 and our flight left at 8! Had he not dropped us off we would have for sure missed it.

Getting through security was not fun. Ollie was being a champ, completely chilled out just looking around at all the people. When they checked our ID Matt walked to the lines they had just opened and one of the security agents told me to get in the lines that were all backed up, I thought it was because I had Ollie and they had to put me through something special so I complied but it was very difficult breaking a part the stroller and getting everything on the xray belt all by myself, especially when I had Ollie in one arm which basically meant I was trying to do it all with one hand. Luckily the lady behind me had seen them separate Matt and I and took mercy on me and was so helpful, at one point when they told me I had to put the stroller on the belt I had to just hand him over and let her hold him because it was a job I couldn't do with one hand (I didn't even really know how to collapse it so even that was a small miracle!) in all honesty maybe it was better that I did it all by myself because it forced me to be patient and calm, if Matt was with me I probably would have gotten bugged by it all and while he was patient and calm I would have been irritated because that is exactly what happened after we got off the plane in Oahu! I had all the makings of a perfect storm- I was starving, I was PMSing, and stressed over time so it really was a miracle that I held it together so well by myself. While they had me pulled to the side testing all his water (if you have a baby they let you take it through for formula) I signal to Matt (who had been done with security for quite some time) to get us food. I finally got through and while he was still in line I headed to the gate. I had no idea that we were so close to missing the flight. When I got there everyone was boarded and they were in a frenzy to get me on, I didn't even have our passed because it was all with Matt and I couldn't tell them he was waiting I the food line so I lied and said we got separated and he was still in security! (half true anyway!) He finally made it and they rushed us onto the plane. Luckily they moved our seats so we got to take the car seat on with us because Ollie had his own seat. Walking down the aisle with Ollie on my arm, a big diaper bag bouncing around knocking things, while carrying a chair full of stuff was not an easy task, especially when Ollie had hold of my hair (the one and only thing that gets me upset because it hurts so bad) At that point I hardly cared about the people around me, Matt had once again been detained so I was doing it alone and knowing the whole plane was waiting for us to get settled I was feeling a lot of pressure to just get in my seat so I bucked up and bore with the pain of my hair being yanked with every step and just focused on the task at hand. I made it into the seat and then my next stressful moment came, I was so worried about Ollie crying through the take off that I rushed to get him a bottle made, again not an easy task when your holding him and crammed into a tight space with the diaper bag under the seat, Matt made it on and got seated but he couldn't help much because there was a big car seat in between us. Once the bottle was made Ollie got anxious to eat it so I let him, but then I was worried that he was going to suck the whole thing down before we took off which is when I needed him sucking on it so his ears wouldn't hurt. I tried to pull it back but that kid doesn't tolerate you taking his bottle once he has started so he made a little protest and I quickly complied. Luckily he still takes like 10 minutes to eat so by some small miracle it all worked out and he was finishing his bottle as we took off. (Lucky for Matt too because I kept stressing over it asking him if I should take the bottle away, worried he was going to cry and worried that if I didn't the bottle would be empty and he would cry because his ears were hurting when we took off- Matt had already reminded me to just relax and I finally did once we were in the air, Ollie was happy and all my fears had not come true and it was all over, we were on our way to Hawaii.

Once Ollie was fed I finally got to eat my food and I have to admit I was grateful Matt stopped to get it even though it was stressful waiting for him at the gate when all eyes were on me pressuring me to get on without him, in the end a delicious hot croissant full of eggs and melted cheese was exactly what I needed. I ate while Matt held Ollie and then he got his turn. That is when all the sweetness happened, Ollie was tired so he snuggled up and fell asleep on my shoulder and I got to sit there and do nothing but think about him. I'm so in love with the little guy. I was probably more in love at that moment because while other kids on the plane were crying he had been a perfect little angel through the entire airport and take off. It's strange, he is such a part of our life now, but on Sunday as we sat there in sacrament meeting smiling at him and drooling over him it hit me once again how blessed we are to have him, it wasn't so long ago that he was just a dream of ours, something we hoped for but that I tucked away in my heart just in case that dream never came true, and now despite how much life has changed and all the extra stuff we have to do (like everything we had just gone through in the airport) I wouldn't trade any of it away because then would be gone the joy I feel when those big beautiful eyes look up at me and smile, and the sweet moments when he lays on my chest with his little heart beating right next to mine. I guess this week I have just had time to reflect not just on how grateful I am for him, but how grateful I am for Jess and her sacrifice, and all the people that that have been affected by her choice. For all of my joy I know there is sadness for those that would also love to hold him. I don't know how to take that pain away so in my heart I decide to not take a single moment for granite, I hope that by cherishing him, by holding him a little longer and tighter, by kissing him a few extra times and telling him who his extra kisses are for that in some small way my extra love for him will be a way of honoring the sacrifices of all those that sacrificed so he could be here with us. These are the things that have been on my mind lately and that ran through my thoughts once again as I should have been trying to sleep but couldn't because I was holding on to the moment. I turned to Matt and said "I'm so glad he is coming with us because the trip is better already." In all honesty the flight really was better with him. We all slept some, and when he was awake we took turns holding him and playing with him. He had big smiles and is always entertaining. Matt even got him to mimic him, he shook his head back and forth and Ollie would stop and stare at him doing it, and the when Matt would stop and look at Ollie a few seconds later Ollie would shake his head back and forth and then stop and stare at Matt waiting for him to do it back. It was cute and made us laugh. I think Ollie loved the flight because he had our undivided attention for nearly six hours! I on the other hand didn't fare as well my butt hurt and I got a big head ache but I survived.
Matt playing with Ollie on the flight.
The lay over in Honolulu was a bit of a fiasco, basically when we were boarding the first plane there was no room for our carry ons which is why Matt got detained, unbeknownst to me they checked our carry on bags and our boarding passes for the next flight and a few other things I desperately needed were all in my carry on. It all got worked out and after a short break we got on the plane for a short flight to Kauai. Once again Ollie was a dream, he was hungry when we got on so I made a bottle and we went through the same stress of hoping he wouldn't be done by the time we got in the air but it worked out and he slept the entire flight. I felt so relieved once we were finally in Kauai, we were all three relaxed and ready to enjoy our vacation.
Ollie during the lay over after the 6 hr flight
Ollie was a little rock star every where we went. People love to talk to us about him. He was full of big smiles in the rental car place which I think helped us negotiate a great deal on a four door Jeep. We already had an SUV for a smoking deal but Matt wanted the Jeep and this is his birthday trip so we said what the heck! The most curious thing is that the are roosters and chickens all over the place here! We were standing in the car rental place and I looked out the window and there was this rooster laying next to the car looking like it had just been smeared across the cement! I was so sad and worried because he looked injured but still alive, but then moments later he jumped up, he must have been sun bathing or something- so strange. That is when we noticed they were everywhere! Just walking around the rental car lot, off in the grass, etc. I guess there was a big hurricane years ago and they all got blown around and started mating like rabbits and now the whole island is covered with them.

We found some local joint for a quick lunch and just as we were nearing the hotel Ollie had finally had it- he was done traveling! We pulled up to the bell boy with Ollie screaming in the back! Who could blame him we had been traveling for ten hours straight! As soon as I got him out of his seat he was instantly calm and full of wonder staring at all his new surroundings. We checked in, changed into our swim suits and headed down to the pool. We got there just before 5pm, just in time for our free MyTy's (sp ?), which she first served to us with alcohol but caught it when she was telling us what was in it. The air was a little cool so I wasn't dying to get wet. Matt took Ollie for a wade through the pool, the water was warmish, probably felt great during the day.
We went in the hot tub, the water felt nice and hot and we had fun playing with Ollie but I'm not going to lie the water scared me! There were all kinds of things floating around in it, hair and white stuff in my mind I was imagining it was people's sun burned skin pealing off in the hot water so my time in there was short. We took Ollie for a short stroll on the beach. The water felt good and we wondered if all the sand was brought in because it was soft and light and there is nothing but black rocks around the beach. We had fun watching the boogie boarders. I have to admit when I think of boogie boarding I think of splaying though the waves and catching a quick ride in, not these guys- they run full speed at the wave, catching it from the front side so they fly up the front like a skateboard ramp and then do flips and turns in the air landing on the back side of the wave. I was impressed. Ollie seemed to love the ocean, there weren't any big smiles or anything he just sat there and stared at it completely mesmerized, I realized it was his first time seeing the ocean and I couldn't help but get excited thinking of all the experiences he has ahead of him- new memories to make and as I saw him staring at the water I thought- he is going to LOVE the ocean, it almost felt like he already does.

As we exited the beach we saw a little sign for those entering the beach that said "no alcohol beyond this point" and we laughed because the guy on the beach directly beyond the sign was sipping his beer- doesn't feel all that funny writing it but for some reason we thought it was funny. We got stopped again by an older couple that thought Ollie was so beautiful that they had to stop and talk to us for 5 minutes. We had nothing else to do anyway and it always makes me smile because it reconfirms to me that I don't just think he is cute because I'm his mom. Because seriously Matt and I have to say to each other at least 50 times a day after every little thing he does "he is so cute!"So I guess I'm the proud mommy that is grateful I'm not the only one that thinks so!

The rest of the night was pretty uneventful, I scrubbed extra hard in the shower to make myself feel clean from the jacuzzi water! Luckily we are only at this resort for one night, Matt and I decided it's probably not a good thing that Lance has spoiled us all these years with outstanding resorts because while this hotel is nice and in an earlier life I might have been really impressed I'm looking forward to getting to the condo where we will have some more space and "upgrades." After cleaning up we ordered food from a local place, they forgot to give us any forks so we ate dinner with our fingers! And then we fell asleep early watching American Idol- I realized how much time is wasted in commercials when I actually had to watch them! I was a little worried because Ollie is finally starting to sleep consistently through the night and now we are going to throw his schedule off, so I just kept him on Arizona time and he did sleep 8 hours it just meant getting up early with him. But I'm still on AZ time too so it wasn't all that hard. And now the sun is finally up and amazingly I have a full day ahead of us- usually on vacation I waste the whole morning sleeping but writing has been fun and Matt has been awake next to me catching up on work and at the moment- playing with Ollie. He is giving him kisses and making him laugh, and mostly laughing at him right now. So fun! Once again I'm so glad Ollie is here because our vacation is already more fun with him!

...after writing in my journal we got ready and headed down to find breakfast and hang out at the beach.
We quickly found that we were not going to find a decent meal at a reasonable price and just settled on getting a croissant sandwich and a juice at the little market/cafe at the hotel and took it down to the pool. We found some shade under a tall palm tree, it wasn't the view we would have normally chosen, but that is one of the things we have to adjust to make sure Ollie is taken care of and happy. The last thing I wanted was for him to get a sun burn, especially on his first day. It was so nice to be outside soaking up some sun, but I have to admit I was looking forward to what the "real hotel" had I store for us. We ate our breakfast and then Matt decided to take a little walk and check out the water and the beach. I stayed back and hung out with Ollie. Jess sent a text wishing Ollie a happy 4 months so I took some time to write her back and send a few pictures. Ollie was laying on the grass between our lounge chairs with some make shift tent made out of a beach towel. He was perfectly content entertaining himself. I got out the camera and started taking pictures.
Matt returned all wet, I guess he decided to not just look at the ocean but to take a swim. He grabbed Ollie and I grabbed the camera and we took him down to put his feet in the water for the first time. It was so fun, just the three of us. Can't wait until he is old enough to be excited about the beach!



After that we headed back to the room, Ollie just hung out watching tv while we packed up. So cute just chillin on the bed.
Didn't take long to pack and take off. It was too early to check in to Kaloa Landing so we stopped at a cute little shopping center and strolled around. We went in the surf shop and picked up the usual surf t-shirt for Matt to have a souvenir of the trip. We got Ollie a surf sticker for the start of his collection. Hydee and Adam and company texted us that they had arrived in Honolulu and were on their layover. We stopped and got some shave ice- I ordered the small and it was HUGE! strawberry piƱa colada was the mix I chose and it was delicious, the way the ice was shaved was amazing and the girl behind the counter was so enthusiastic about the flavors that Matt had to ask me if she was serious. It was the perfect little start of our vacation. We strolled around a few more shops, picked up the cutest little QuickSilver sandals for Ollie. I was a bit embarrassed because I brought tons of cute clothes for him and somehow he was in a plain white onsie, so for the first time we had someone ask if he was a girl or boy. We went into an amazing gallery, it as a photographer and his work was so bright and exceptional. There we lots of other little shops and restaurants to explore but we were running out of time so we headed back to the Jeep. We debated whether or not to go to Lihue and meet Hydee and Adam, I wanted to stop and stock up on some breakfast food and snacks and make sure I had enough formula for Ollie so I thought it would be a good idea to go to Costco while we had the time and while Hydee and Adam were in Lihue so we wouldn't have to waste time another day, but I also felt bad that they had been traveling all day and were probably tired so in the end we headed to the resort to check in and gave up on shopping.

The resort is still under construction, which is why it will probably be the only time we stay there because it was at a discount rate. After Matt checked us in he showed up with big smiles, a flower lei around his neck and another beautiful flower lei for me along with a plate of a variety of macadamia nuts that they had given us as a gift. A kind lady was right behind him bringing out beach umbrellas and welcoming us. Already I was already liking this place a lot better!

We checked into our room, and it was amazing! Travertine floors, fine wood furnishings, granite counter tops, a full kitchen, 3 huge bathrooms each with their own bath and on and on. We unpacked and got ready for the beach while we waited for them to arrive. Here is the tour (except the funny thing is our room and bath is the only one I didn't get a picture of!)








Everyone was excited when they arrived and we settled in quickly. I had most of our stuff unpacked by the time they got there so we got to chat and hear about their flight. Ollie wasn't too sure about Emmeliene, she is such a big smilier and she loves to babble. He just stared at her at first but then when she started babbling loudly and getting excited his little chin started to quiver and he burst into tears! I had to take him in the other room away from her to calm him down. I guess he isn't used to much noise around our house and it is true that loud unexpected noises always scare him. Adam wanted to get the kids down to the beach for some snorkeling so they took off and we went to rent some snorkel gear. 
When we caught up with them there there was no parking and it was getting late in the day. We drove way past where it was close enough to park and walk, there were beautiful houses right on the beach that made me a bit jealous of the people living in them. We turned back and after driving all the way back to the start of the beach we found Hydee sitting in the grass in front of the restaurant that overlooked the beach. Matt pulled over and let me out so that we didn't have to drag Ollie and the stroller and all our stuff up the street and then he went to find a place to park.
Colton swinging in the trees
Adam, Colton, and Macey were just coming out of the water when I got there, but Adam and Colton went back in with Matt when he arrived. Hydee and I got to lay on the lawn with the babies taking pictures of them and talking. Hydee left to go get something or check on someone at one point and I was sitting there with both babies, what a handful!

Macey was happy to dig a big hole in the sand all by herself and sit in it. Before Ollie I would have been right there with her, I can't think of a time that I've been to the beach with kids that I haven't dug or built something with them, when Ollie is a little older my time for digging in the sand will return again. I picked him up and we went down and crawled on the rocks in front of the wall along the side of beach to see if we could see any turtles- no luck but it was still a fun excursion.

Hydee and I also went for a little stroll along the walkway in front of the restaurant which is perched up on higher ground right along the water. The restaurant was full and there were people outside taking pictures, I am always entertained by simply watching people. We were able to see a few turtles in the water too. Not the best view, just their shells coming up out of the water and a head and fin but exciting none the less. We didn't walk long, I was too nervous to leave all of our stuff on the lawn because it was right next to the street and there were people walking around that could grab it and run any moment- that is what I kept thinking the whole time anyway. When we were back sitting in our spot again the boys got out of the water and Adam and Matt took off to check out the surfing around the corner.
At sunset everyone joined us up on the lawn and we sat along the short wall on the pathway to watch the magic happen. Matt and I were busy taking picture after picture of Ollie with each of us with the sunset as the back drop. He was in a good mood and life felt perfect in the moment as we enjoyed the fresh ocean air, the beautiful sunset and scenic view of the beach. We stayed a bit longer after it set and then headed back to the condo to get cleaned up and ready for dinner.





Hydee and Adam introduced us to a great restaurant nearby. We sat outside and it felt like a little slice of paradise. It was dark our by the time we got the but the weather was perfect and I really loved the atmosphere. We stepped down to a rock patio that had a raised wall around it. We were tucked in the corner and right behind us was grass, a running river/water feature and tropical plants. Ollie slept through the whole thing which made it nice, we just kept him in his carseat/stroller and got to enjoy the meal uninterrupted. I told our stories of getting through the airport and as usual talked more than I ate. Matt had a delicious ahi plate, I went with a fish I can't pronounce and had it blackened, it was so so hot and spicy that it ruined the dish for me, but I still enjoyed the experience. We came home after that and crashed for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment