Saturday, April 28, 2012

Day Three in Kauai

This morning while we were getting ready Ollie was in a playful mood as he lay on the bed waiting for us. We gave him his shark and he just lay there making his funny noises and laughing as he played with it. I of course was completely distracted by his cuteness and had to stop and take pictures and obviously I had a hard time narrowing down which ones to share because they were all so cute!













We had a little bit of a charade getting out of the house (Adam couldn't find his car keys). We went back to the same breakfast place for another delicious meal. Macey wasn't feeling well so after breakfast Colton, Adam, Matt and I headed out for the swamp hike, while Hydee took Macey and the babies home. We took a long windy road that started making me feel sick, about that point I was feeling grateful that Macey hadn't come because she gets motion sick (we later found out she hurled on the way home). At the very start of the hike we hit an amazing lookout, and while taking it all in a rainbow appeared so we stopped to take a few shots.



The hike was fun and interesting all at the same time. I was entertained by Colton, we swung through trees together as we skirted through a muddy path.


Colton and Matt loved talking about poop, both of them stopped along the route to do their business and we joked that Colton got it all over his face because he did have black streaks across his face. There were lots of green plants all around us, my favorite was this vine that looked like all of the petals were positioned to drop rain down to the next petal beneath it. The interesting part was keeping up with Adam, he set the pace and if we weren't paying attention he would soon disappear and and I kid you not I started full on sprinting to catch him.

The cool thing about the hike is you were walking on boards through most of it and there were areas of big wooden stairs. Colton loved the boards because he would find loose ones that would flop up and down when you stepped on them so he would work extra hard to jump on the boards.


We did stop a few times along the way for pictures, there were just too many interesting things to see, like a big huge tree that had fallen over and created sort of a cave with it's roots big enough for Colton and I to hide in.


At the top you are walking on a boarded path through a swamp and it is crazy because all the trees are gone and you feel like you are on top of the mountain where you think it would be lush but it really was swampy around us- Colton and I called it snot and none of us were interested in falling into it.

We had a lot of time to talk and Adam shared with us his dream about someday building orphanages. We talked about adoption and and I remember at one point sharing with him how I had recently learned that when the disaster happen in Haiti how arrangements were made for lds couples that were waiting to adopt were able to adopt the children that were left as orphans (currently lds services does not handle forgein adoptions which is also what made it unique). I don't know why but when I was relating this to him I got all choked up, it just hit me once again the miracle of adoption and in an instant I knew that Heavenly Father had prepared those couples for that moment to be there to help those children. I was touched by the evidence of His love for those children to prepare a way for them and at the same time I wondered what had happened in the lives of those couples and families that prepared them to be in that time and place to be ready for those children. What amazing stories they must have to tell on both sides of the heartaches and trials that they all faced. I literally had to wipe back tears as I thought of the tragedy those kids faced and at the same time I was so humbled by the amazing families that open their hearts and their homes to love children all over the world that would otherwise suffer more than they already have. There are quite a few families in my ward who have adopted internationally and I know they have faced different challenges than I did and I'm just in awe of how the Lord's hand has been there to make it possible in all these different circumstances for families to be together. Truly amazing. While I was thinking about all of this Matt's cell phone rang- it was Garison his best friend in high school that he hasn't talked to in a while but whom he still keeps in pretty regular contact with. He had no idea we were in Hawaii and we had no idea the phone would be working up there so it was a fun surprise for Matt.

Once we made it through the swampy part we finally reached the look out. It was another breath taking sight to stand up there in the clouds and look down on the north shore. After taking some pictures we sat and enjoyed the view and some snacks.



Adam shared some thing called Goo that is an energy thing you are supposed to suck down. It really was like goo, thick, neon green, and jelly like. I tried to suck it down but it wouldn't go straight to my throat instead it got all over my mouth and was hard for me to swallow. I really tried to suck it down so I wouldn't offend anyone but in the end I filled up my mouth with it and started laughing because I couldn't force any more down, in my laughter I started somewhat choking on it and ended up spitting it out all over the ground. Oh well. We tried calling Hydee to see how Ollie was doing but she didn't answer. It had taken us nearly two and a half hours to hike 4.5 miles and I guess I was anxious to get back so as we started heading back I decided why not run? So I took the lead and Colton and the boys jogged behind me, I think in my mind I was pretending I was on biggest loser getting pushed to try to do something that was hard so I started yelling out to the boys silly things as if I were their drill sargent and they were nice enough to play along. My goal was just to run until we made it through the swamp to the trees. Surprisingly I still had some energy to job a bit in the trees, but at some point in there I gave the lead back to Adam (not that any of them couldn't have taken it at any time!)

One of my favorite conversations during this part of the hike was Colton explaining to me what kind of grandfather he is going to be- he summed it up by saying he was going to be a fun one that did stuff with their grand kids and that he would let them do fun things and not get mad at them they they throw apples at each others heads. (I'm assuming there is a story behind that!) When we hit all the stairs and had to go up I let Adam and Colton run up it while I slowed the pace, the stairs kicked my butt! We pretty much lost Colton and Adam at that point (or I guess more accurately they lost us!) We caught up again when the planks were gone and we were back in the mud.

Being with Colton made Matt and me excited about what it is going to be like when Ollie is his age. It also made me a little sad that I will be 10 years older when Ollie is Colton's age! But it is what it is and there is nothing I can do about it other than enjoy my life and what it has given me no matter what age I am. On the way out we saw a lady that looked like she must have been in her 70s hiking through rugged terrain with two walking sticks. At first I was a bit surprised and felt sorry for her and then I thought good for her for doing what most people her age would never dare to do! I have to say that one of the best things about the hike was doing it with Matt. He is still my best friend and I'm so glad we can enjoy things like this together. We still laugh and being with Adam and Colton it just made me realize how much Matt and I are alike we see the world the same, we laugh at the same jokes that we make to each other and I still look at his hot body and find myself thinking how lucky I am to be his wife :)

It was no surprise that Colton and Adam beat us back to the Jeep. With all our running it only took us an hour and twenty five minutes to get back to the car. While Adam had them doing stretches Matt and I took the top off the Jeep so we could enjoy the weather on the way home. When we walked in Hydee was surprised we were back so soon, and we found her with a baby on each knee!


I scooped Ollie up, so happy to see him. And we all just relaxed and watched movies. We were just going to finish the one that was on and then head to the pool and then dinner, but none of that occurred. By the time the movie finished it was too late for the pool and by the time we showered and dressed we weren't really up for going out to dinner so Matt ordered pizza and picked it up and brought it back and we just watched another movie in bed. It was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment