Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Getting Right Back Up

Ollie's stroller just hangs out in whatever corner of the house we can fit it in and anytime it catches Ollie's eye he begs us to put him in it and stroll him around, even if it's only through the house which Daddee already did once for him today. Tonight after dinner Matt had to go meet with a client and Ollie was restless which usually means he begs for swim but the stroller caught his eye again and since it is slightly cooler/bearable to be outside I decided I could use a little leg stretching myself and took him up on it. He is always happy to be outside and it was fun to hear him saying "Oh!" and excitedly pointing and saying things like "Dog!" and "Car!" As we made our way to the park there was an awkward, lonely looking teenager walking around that was trying to avoid us and any eye contact. Ollie yelled out to him "Hi!" and started happily waving at him from his stroller. I don't know why my heart swelled up over it, I guess I was reminded once again how sweet his little spirit is. Here I was trying to avoid the kid and Ollie was reaching out trying to make him happy, it made me look up and offer a smile as well. It wasn't returned but maybe he still heard Ollie and maybe he was just to shy to respond.

At the park I was reminded of another thing I love about this little guy. He is so independent now that he can climb up on the playset and march himself across the bridge to the slide all by himself. And while I thought he might wait for me to go and help him down the slide, I was wrong. He sat himself down and proudly looked over the edge at me and said "Mommee!" I suppose to make sure I was watching, and then he flew down the slide making it safely to the bottom as happy as can be!

 
He then went back and repeated the process, but this time he made a crash landing at the bottom and the side of his face seemed to be the thing that stopped him. He immediately cried and I rushed over to make sure he was ok. He had a mild skid mark on the side of his face and a tiny tiny bit of blood but otherwise was fine. To my surprise he only cried really till I got there and gave him a hug and then he was off again, making his way back to the slide to do it again! That is what I love about Ollie, he just gets back up and tries again. I have seen him do it a hundred times. The other one that shocks me is every time he is in the pool and goes under longer than he wants to and sucks in some water, most of us would be done but he just keeps on playing like it never happened. Here is his happy little face back to conquer the slide right after his fall:
 
And his successful dismount:
 
Picking yourself up and trying again takes a lot of courage, I hope you are always so brave little man!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment