Sunday, March 9, 2014

6 Month Birthday/Anniversary- Baby Jed

Today Jed is six months old! Six months! How did they go so fast? Six months ago today we were in the hospital welcoming Jed into the world surrounded by all these people that love him so much and who have become such an important part of our lives. I think of how I thought I knew Sarah then but how the past six months have only deepened our relationship. As we were driving to her house these were all the things bouncing around in my head and in my conversation with Matt. I texted Sarah as we drove past the hospital, and we shared a moment. It's funny how landmarks or places carry such vivid memories with them and how time and your relationship with someone can make those memories sweeter. It's amazing how the beautiful moments at that hospital are the ones that shine so brightly now. As I am contemplating the miracle of it all, I can't help but once again be reminded of the power of the atonement. Truly in the hard things that we are called to go through in life we will always have the memory, but He can take away the pain and heal us. I know this is only coming from my perspective as an adoptive parent and in no way would I ever try to down play or belittle the pain, sacrifice, grief or loss that a birth parent or their family feels, but for me personally looking back at our journey there is peace. And truly it is the tender moments and tender mercies that happened along the way, in places such as the hospital, that I hold dear and that we celebrate because each of those memories is a reminder of all that we have gained, which is not just Jed but also our new "extended family."

What was even more special about today is that Allison, Sarah's birth mother, was in town! What a treat it was for every one of us that were there in the hospital six months ago to the day could be together again! We were all excited for the occasion. They had invited us over for Sunday dinner and Sarah only asked that Matt make some of his famous bread. He got the bread started after church but had to go back to church for meetings while it rose. I think it was a good thing that his meetings went long and that it had extra time to rise because it was the biggest fluffiest batch of bread I have ever seen him make! We pulled it out of the oven and went straight to Sarah's house when it was done. All I can say is that it was torture smelling that bread the whole way there!

When we arrived and I was getting Ollie out of the car he knew we were at Sarah's house and he looked at me and asked in his own words if Jessica was going to be there. It was one of those proud and sad moments. So happy that he thinks of her and so sad that this time we weren't going to be seeing her. I was reminded though of the happy reunion we had back in Utah when Ollie was six months old and the others we have had since and how grateful we are that she will always be a part of us rather near or far.

I didn't do the best job getting pictures tonight, but the few that I have tell the story. Jed, from the moment we walked in the door was the center of attention and he loved every minute of all his Momma's and GrandMomma's dotting over him!












 
We probably ended up staying too long, but it was such a fun night we didn't want to leave! Sarah had planned the most amazing meal (I'm totally a steak and potatoes kind of girl) and what a treat it was to sit and visit and catch up. At some point during the night Allison made the comment that it was so fun and refreshing to get together and see everyone under happy circumstances. I was reminded that she was there for the hospital but left before Sarah actually placed and leaving knowing in a very real way what Sarah was facing must have been more than difficult to say the least. I really think for all of us leaving the hospital was hardest thing we've ever done, but being a part of the placement ceremony really felt like the first step to healing. And I am glad that every moment we have been with Sarah and her family since has been a good one! It's the simple things really. Just having time to talk, and look in those big eyes at those long eye lashes and inspecting the folds in his thighs or chunky wrists and ankles is a cause to celebrate! Fun parts of the night were catching Allison dancing with Jed on the back porch, Jennifer finding anything she could to give Jed to chew on and discover, and helping Jed "chase" Ollie around as they both laugh and love life because they are brothers! Jed some people may suggest that you are so lucky to be so loved by so many, but don't be fooled sweet boy- we are the lucky ones!

No comments:

Post a Comment