Sunday, February 5, 2012

First Day at Church

Today was Ollie's first day at church. The morning started well, Matt took care of him through his 4:30am feeding and he slept long so I got to sleep most of the night and got up in a great mood at 8am. Ollie and I snuck into the nursery so daddy could sleep undisturbed and did our morning ritual of feeding and listening to the Book of Mormon while he eats. We've made it through Alma 16 I enjoy the quiet of the morning with the little guy in my arms, the story of Alma and Amulek took on a little different meaning this time as I pondered how these two men were led to each other and the miracle of it all, how they found each other and how truly they had been prepared for each other. Reminded me of Jess and how I still feel so blessed that Heavenly Father guided us to each other and how grateful I am for that. In the midst of all that Ollie had a little blow out. I got up to change his diaper knowing he had pooped but having no idea how bad it was, lets just say his little white onsie and the changing cloth now need a good washing and it was the first diaper I couldn't even close all the way. After cleaning him up I got him dressed for his first day at church. I bought him a little sweater outfit when we were up in Utah but this is the first time he's had an opportunity to wear it and from the looks of it he won't have very many others because he fit it really well!

Matt and I hurried to get ready in time hoping to get a soft seat, we got there right at 11am- stopped to say hello to President Jones on the way in. He hadn't had an opportunity to see Ollie yet, Matt was so proud to show him and brag about how cute he was, President Jones laughed and told him you want them cute but not too handsome because that's when they get in trouble! Love that guy. Today was fast and testimony meeting. I got tears in my eyes from the very first song and knew it was finally time I bore my testimony. There were two baby blessings today, can't wait until we get to bless Ollie! I didn't wait around forever this time like I usually do- waiting for a lull until the entire meeting is gone. I bore my testimony of how much I have learned and how grateful I am not just for Ollie but for the entire experience and the way he came into our family. I have learned so much about the atonement in ways I never expected and truly I am grateful for the power of prayer and for the scriptures that were my constant source of peace and strength. I remember in the midst of uncertainty I would just think to myself I just need to stay close to the spirit because there are things that are completely out of my control but every time I read the scriptures I felt a sense of peace and knew that Heavenly Father was mindful of all of us and that He was in control. I'm grateful for the moments that forced me to my knees and made me rely wholly upon His spirit to guide me. I'm grateful for the temple, the blessing it is in my life because the covenents and the promises we make in those walls come with the sweetest blessings, with peace and protection and the promise of eternity with both of my boys. I truly can't wait until the day he is sealed to us forever. I'm grateful for girls that may have made mistakes but are turning back to their Heavenly Father and how out of it all can come the miracle of lives changed for the better, and sacrifices made so that their own desires are set aside as they love their child enough to give them a mother and a father that they can be sealed to and to be raised in a home with the priesthood. I am eternally grateful for Jess, what a priceless gift she has given him. I pray every day that I can be worthy to raise this precious boy the way he deserves to be raised. I didn't say all of those things in my testimony and there were other things that were said that I have written elsewhere before. What a good day it was. There were other testimonies given regarding adoption, I'm always amazed to find out how many people have been touched by it. It was so exciting to finally be back in the ward and to be so welcomed and have so many people excited for us. Ollie was a little rock star and we feel so blessed to feel so loved and supported. My little Emerson from our Sunday school class came up to see him and her Mom told me how Emerson had taken the little wallet size picture of him that I sent along with the shower invite and took it to school with her to show everyone. I really miss our little class. In relief society Sister McAllister made her way to me and it was hard to speak because as soon as I saw the tears in her eyes I got all choked up again. She has adopted her little boy and is waiting for her other little boy to get the clearance to come be in their family. She told me that she had shown Paige (another one of our little girls from our class two years ago) the picture of Ollie and she cried! So it was both an exciting and emotional day- happy tears though! Natalie held him for me most of relief society. In the middle of a special musical number I had to get up and take him out because he had peed through his diapers! As soon as I took him from her he let out a little squeal because he was already falling fast asleep and he hates to be distrubed when he is sleeping. I'm not super comfortable causing a ruckus and disrupting things yet! When we got home we took a few more pictures because his daddy looked so cute all dressed up with his little boy and I didn't want to forget it! Now they are both snuggled up in the nursery napping. Happy Sunday!





No comments:

Post a Comment