Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Heading Home

Woke up to a call from Jess that she had arrived at the house, 7:30am came a lot faster than I thought it would! I walked all over the house looking for her and found her still standing at the front door without even a jacket on- she must have been freezing! She watched Ollie while I tried to get ready. Barbara made my favorite breakfast for our last meal at her house and we all enjoyed it together before running out the door to Ollie's doctor's appointment. We were late but luckily they kept our appointment. That was a fun experience- the nurse practitioner was thoroughly confused as she kept asking me questions about the pregnancy and birth and I kept deferring to Jess to answer. Despite the fact that I had explained when we walked in that I was the adoptive mother and Jessica was the birth mother she obviously missed that fact- half way through the questions she finally said, "I'm confused, are you the mother or is she?" We set it all straight and it was all good from there- I'm sure it must not happen all that often that both mothers go to the doctors appointment but I was glad Jess was there.

Ollie weighed in at 9 lbs 14 oz, and 21 3/4" long. That puts him in the 80 something percentile for both so he is a strong, healthy, growing boy! We headed back to Barbara's afterward, Matt had done a lot of packing while we were gone but we still had a lot left to do so we jumped into packing while Jess watched Ollie. A little while into it Matt said, "Maybe we should just pack up Jess and bring her too!" I went to tell her and found her napping with Ollie- so cute!
Packing was finally done, the car was loaded and it was time to say goodbye. We were so grateful for Barb and all her hospitality- we were spoiled no doubt about it, and I knew Ollie was going to miss her too.
There were no tears but lots of hugs and pictures as we said "goodbye for now" to Jess. It will be hard to be so far away but we will forever be grateful for the time we did have to be near her in Utah.



12pm- With goodbye's over we loaded into the car and got on our way. As we pulled out of the driveway it hit me for a moment as I felt all the emotions swelling up inside- and I wondered if her drive home would also be hard. It's hard to explain all the love and gratitude I have for Jess. All I can say is l will forever be grateful for her, and will miss her company but look forward to heading back to Utah in 6 months.

My thoughts then turned to home- to my family. I sent out a text announcing that we were finally on our way! According to the GPS we were 12.5 hours away. I can't say I ever look forward to that drive. Ollie did pretty well. I would feed him in his seat and we were able to minimize the stops and made good time. He did wake up as we were crossing the boarder into Arizona. I saw the sign but missed taking a picture and didn't care enough about it to make Matt turn around, so instead I took a picture of Ollie as he crossed into Arizona. Matt of course had a good time introducing Ollie to all his dam jokes as we passed over the dam.


Ten and a half hours later we finally made it home! Dad was here to greet us, and before the end of the night Mom was here as well to hold her 27th grandchild fofr the first time. I relaxed in my own bed with Ollie on my chest and Missee snuggled up on my lap. I reminded Ollie that it wasn't his first time home, he has been here before. I still remember when Jess was here for thanksgiving the very first night after staying up late taking to her and watching him move in her stomach I laid down in my bed that night and thought "He's here in his home", and it felt a little more real than it ever had before. And now he is finally home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment