Monday, September 10, 2012

Learning to Feed Himself

So I read in one of my books about caring for your baby the following: "At about eight to nine nonths, as your baby's ability to use his hands improves, give him a spoon on his own and let him play with it at mealtimes. Once he's figured out how to hold it, dip it in his food and let him try to feed himself. Don't expect much in the beginning, when more food is bound to go on the floor and high chair than into his mouth...Be patient, and resist the tempation to grab the spoon away from him. He needs not only the practice but also the knowledge that you have confidence in his ability to feed himself."

Since I want him to be a healthy, independent little guy I decided to give it a try. I mixed up a bowl of oatmeal for him and placed it before him with a spoon. He first jumped right in with his hand.

I did get him to hold the spoon and dip it in the oatmeal like he has seen me do.

 
He didn't quite get the right end of the spoon in his mouth.
 
 
Then he gave up the spoon all together and threw both hands in.
 
 
He thought that was a lot of fun, and looked at me with big smiles. I laughed back "showing my confidence in his ability to feed himself," or maybe just because it really was entertaining- I hope I'm not creating a monster!

1 comment:

  1. we do the same with E. she feeds herself pretty much everything. i try to pick foods she can pick up on her own. yes, a lot ends up in her chair, but she's getting much better at it. i just feed her in her diaper then put her in the sink for a quick rinse after she's done. much easier this way! i'm proud of you for trying it. don't worry, you're not creating a monster but letting him learn. it'll pay off nicely.

    ReplyDelete