Thursday, November 21, 2013

Nine & Ten Weeks Old- Baby Jed





The last two weeks have been crazy busy, but I did manage to grab his weekly pics. Little man celebrated two months of life and as you can see from the pictures he gets more and more animated every day! He's sleeping seven hours at night now and I feel like a whole new person, it's amazing what more than 3 hours of uninterrupted sleep will do for you. But unfortunately he has also gotten into the habit of spitting up- a LOT! We had a happy little morning feeding a few days ago, at 5am he ate and then we sat there and talked, he smiled his big smiles back on me and cooed, it was a sweet little exchange and having had a long stretch of sleep I was happy to spend the extra time with him and not put him right back to sleep. But after 30 minutes it was time to put him back down. I changed his diaper and then started carrying him to his bed- two steps in he projectile spit up what seemed to be his entire bottle all over me- the way I was holding him it went straight to my chest and right down my scoop neck shirt- so fun. Oh well, not every moment with a newborn can be magical! The funny thing is he can dowse me with spit up and then lay there all innocent and pull out some big smiles for me, which is exactly what he did that morning.

Ollie has been quite the character lately. He still adores Jed but he tells me in his own little ways when he needs attention. His favorite little thing lately is telling me he's cold, which in translation means "I want to snuggle." It's also my favorite thing because I will never get enough of holding him in my arms and I think I am going to cry for a very long time when he is too big for me to snuggle. I still know every day what a privilege it is to have him in my arms, and I still hold him just a little longer for Jess. Admittedly he is a bit of a wreck lately. Shortly after Jed was born Ollie figured out that the crib could no longer contain him, and while we tried at first to be firm and do the back and forth (and back and forth, and back and forth, and back...) with sleepless nights the surgery we just didn't have the energy to fight him on it so he's been snuggling up with us in bed at night. He was always good at going down, even if he was all wired when 8pm came we could put him down in his crib and not only would he not fight it, he would be out in minutes. So it's been hard, his nap times and bedtimes are all over the place now. When he had a melt down last week I could hardly blame anyone but myself. Now that I am feeling better and I'm getting more sleep I decided it was time to get him back on his schedule. But it's a rough road. On Monday we did the back and forth thing for honestly an hour and he was pretty upset. I finally did something I have never done before, when I took him back to bed I crawled in bed with him. He liked that, it calmed him right down and he pulled my arms around him and fell fast asleep. Tuesday after doing some back and forth I thought, why wait an hour- so I turned on one of his baby Einstein movies and crawled in his crib with him. He was wide awake and was so excited to have me there that he started pointing out all the names of the animals in the movie before they would even say them. I knew he could point out all the common animals like cows, but I really was amazed that he would know and could say "Parrot." The funny thing was I was the one that fell asleep. I woke up to him crawling out of the crib to go snuggle with Matt. I asked him where he was going and he said "Watch football!" He cracks me up!

Some of Ollie's other favorite things to do are look for scorpions with the black light at night with Matt. Right around Halloween time he started thinking there were monsters in his room so he talks about monsters all the time now, and he tells us "Scary!" A few nights ago he was being naughty at dinner, he didn't want to finish his food so he was dropping it on the floor. Matt and I were trying to be stern with him and all he would do was look at us with his big cheesy smile and say "I'm funny!" and laugh, and then he started saying "I'm Silly" and he had both of us looking the other way because we didn't want him to see us laughing. I guess we tell him both of those things all the time, he has just never said them to us about himself. The last thing I will say about him is that we have been working on his ABCs and counting to 10. At first when I would have him repeat the words to me we would get to the letter M and he would yell out "Emmie!" (His favorite little cousin that is 1 month older than him). Now I catch him singing the ABC song all the time, he won't sing it with me so it's fun to hear him singing it on his own. He pretty much says all of the letters now, such a smart little guy. If he takes time to count he can go to 10, but most of the time I hear him say 1, 2, 3, 4, 9! When he was little we couldn't get him to say 1, he would just say 2, 2, 3! 

Ok, one more thing he has finally figured out what it means to whisper, just this week he has started whispering to me when Jed is asleep and it is the cutest thing. It's good for me to recount all the fun little things happening in the boys lives right now because this has been a trying time for me especially- it has been an adjustment and lets face it, two children under the age of two is hard work. Ollie isn't really helpful yet, they are both dependent on me and sometimes it is hard to choose which one to take care of first when both of them are crying! I don't write any of these posts to pretend that I am a perfect Mom or that life is not full of it's own little challenges but to savor the moments that make it all more than worth it! Closing off with a few more of Jed's big smiles...





No comments:

Post a Comment